Joomla 4.0 Alpha 3 includes almost of the Joomla Core library changes that will be included in version 4.0.0. Some of these changes will require small changes to extensions.
» View full list of Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 4.0.
- At the beginning of the 3rd quarter 2018: Beta 1 - feature freeze
- At the end of the 3rd quarter 2018: Release Candidate 1
- At the end of 2018: Stable Release
These timelines are subject to change based on a wide variety of issues and concerns as well as on the availability of volunteers.
What’s new in Joomla 4.0
- A cleaner and more powerful codebase with the removal of deprecated functions from Joomla 3.x and the use of PHP namespaces that allows developers to deliver more robust and innovative applications than ever before
- Install Joomla in the blink of an eye: an easiest, fastest and more user friendly install process
- Brand new User Interfaces (backend and frontend) to provide a new and easiest experience, using Bootstrap 4
- Because the web is for all, we aim to provide an accessible backend template (Level AA of WCAG 2.0)
- The power of the Joomla Framework merged to the CMS
- A fully rebuilt Media Manager with a cleaner User Interface and new image editing features
- New security features such as support for prepared SQL statements
- An enhanced event dispatching system
- Reworked Application for Consoles
- And many more!
» View full list of highlight features in Joomla 4.0.
Remember this is an Alpha and is not ready for use on a production website. It is for testing only.
Note: SmartAddons' Joomla templates can work with this latest Joomla release. You can update them to Joomla 3.8 and follow this article for Fix Bugs, Errors When Update Sj Templates to Joomla 3.8 for bugs fixing or contact us here, we will help you.